Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Post I Promised...

...a day late. Oh well. Deal with it.

Well, this is what I've been doing with my time. First of all, I've been--you guessed it--knitting. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm knitting an anthropologie-inspired capelet designed by Julsey723 on Craftster.org. Mine is definitely not as cute as hers. It's a start, though. Depending on the results, I might make another in a different yarn. Here's my progress so far:

In addition to knitting, I've been sewing. I can't remember if I already told my sewing machine story, so I guess I'll assume I didn't. Anyhow, my tale of woe started many, many years ago, before my first son was born. (He's now four.) My mother-in-law graciously gave me one of her many old sewing machines. I don't remember why. I guess I expressed interest in sewing. It was so long ago I can't remember. Well, she gave me one of hers, and it was old. I got it home and decided I was going to make our Christmas stockings. I used it once, then suddenly, it wouldn't work anymore. I didn't know what was wrong with it. I know absolutely nothing about sewing machines, so I couldn't even tell if it was something I was doing wrong, or if the machine was busted. So I put it away. For a while. Then I pulled it out again one day and thought I'd try to fix it. Again, I had no idea what I was doing, and the internet--the place I go whenever I have no clue what I'm doing--was no help. So I put it away again. For a long time. (Depressing story, huh?) Then one day, I decided I wanted to make my own knitting needle holders. I pulled out that have metal machine one more time, and this time, I was determined to find out what I was doing wrong. You see, the problem was it wouldn't sew. The needle would dip into the little hole to grab the thread from the bobbin, then just stop. This time when I did a search on the internet, it didn't let me down. I found many pages on troubleshooting a sewing machine and found the problem. Not only was I not threading the bobbin right, but I wasn't even threading the machine correctly. I was wrong on both accounts. So, I re-threaded the bobbin...and I re-threaded the machine...and I held my breath as I slowly pressed on the pedal...and...IT WORKED!! So, my stupidity has prevented me from sewing all these years. Isn't that sad? Just think of all the experience I would've had by now. Oh well. So, here is the top of a needle holding wrappy thing (you know, those roll-up holders). The colors--well, I could've picked my colors better. I was going for contrast. Remember that.

For some reason it is not posting the picture. Well, here is a picture of the first one I did. I made this one last week, and while the colors are awesome together, it was my first, so I made a lot of mistakes on it.

Okay, it won't post that either...I'll have to post these seperately...

No comments: