Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Some Christmas Gifts

I still can't post Shon's gift, because I haven't given it to her yet, but her are some little gifts I gave to my some of my other friends. I made the earrings myself (but not the beads. I bought those.)

And I made little pouches just big enough to hold those earrings.


It's not much, but I'm sure they weren't expecting anything at all. As for Shon's, well, it's pretty damn impressive. You'll see.

On the needles, I'm working on a hat. For me. I'm making it out of this really pretty purple wool. Here is my progress so far. (I'm almost done, actually.)

I found the pattern, called Kim's Hats, in "Last Minute Gifts" by Joelle Hoverson.

Really, the pattern isn't necessary. Hats are pretty simple. The book is pretty cool. There are some cute stuffed animals in it I would like to make for my boys, and my niece, Lucy.

BTW, I plan on making some gloves out of this yarn, too. My current hat/glove set is a really bulky yucky knit set I bought from Kmart a few years back in a moment of desperation. My husband and I were visiting his family in Upstate New York (near Canada) and there was a huge snow storm--during Thanksgiving. It probably wasn't huge to them, but I was totally unprepared for that much snow! So I'm still using that set (when I absolutely have to), but, as I discovered yesterday, the hat leaves indentations on my forehead. I noticed this as soon as I got to work. For several minutes I had to face customers and co-workers with a striped forehead. I think I'll brave the elements hatless until I finish this wool one.

Well, that's all for now. Just waiting for Christmas to be over. OH! Before I forget, I went to see "Just Friends" at the theater on Saturday and I can't believe it has done bad. It was hilarious! Shon and I were rolling in our seats! So, I thought I'd recommend it, seeing as it has gotten a bad rap from the critics (or so my husband says.) Next on my movie list: "Memoirs of a Geisha." I read this book over Thanksgiving so I would be ready for the movie! (I hate seeing the movie first, then reading the book.) Yay! I can't wait to go! Right now I'm reading "Geisha, A life" by Mineko Iwasaki. Although I loved "Memoirs of a Geisha," I was put off by the fact it was written by an American man. This current one I'm reading is a biography by a former Geisha, so we'll see how this one goes! I'm very interested in everything Eastern. Some might call me obsessed. Anyhow, afterwards I'm going to read "Confucius Lives Next Door" by T.R. Reid. It's about an American who moves his family to Japan when his job transfers him. The book deals with the cultural differences between the Japanese and Americans. It is my dream to someday visit Japan. (And China. I love China!) Someday...

Alright. That is it for today. (I promise.)

No comments: